Wednesday, December 1, 2010

My favorite Abstract Christian artist: Scott Erickson


The Making of the "Feedback" Paintings from scott erickson on Vimeo.

Through one of my many Internet searches, I found this clip on the making of artwork for the Feedback Album by Derek Webb.  The visual artist is Scott Erickson. 

I was initially drawn to the artist's humble and honest discourse about his process and journey throughout the creation of this series.  I can relate so much to this artist in that I too felt that abstraction was the way in which God's message would be conveyed clearly, universally with the most impact.  I have always been a figurative painter, so abstract art was a huge challenge to me, as well. 

It was so wonderful to hear the artist speak of the way in which he allowed himself to be taken.  He stepped aside and let God demonstrate a clear direction.  God speaks to us artists directly (One to one), through others, and through metaphors within our surroundings from which we gather inspiration and poignant approaches to His messages. Erickson faithfully listened and obeyed.

He states simple yet insightful recommendations to set aside these things that hinder us from attaining the purity of our art, things such as ego, doubts, and frustrations. It was reassuring to hear another Christian artist say that we must allow ourselves to get to "the patient place to receive the images and work it out" (I like to know I'm not the only one who has difficulty fading out the noise). 

There are messages God intends to convey through our art, messages that will carry their purpose:  minister, provide hope, heal, fill, evangelize, bring life- through Christ.  It is essential, however, to put as little of our agenda or 'overthinking' into the pieces so that the art speak to the senses and the spirit in the way that God intended.  That is where the impact will be! I liked the statement he makes (paraphrased), we must listen to what the art wants to become.

I love his style! His reference to urban decay and graffiti was strong and relevant.  I found the work to be refreshing and real.  I found it to be emotional, powerful and incredibly indicative of the frailty of mankind empowered by the presence of God.

You can take a look at more of his work at http://artvoxlive.com/tag/scott-erickson/ Check out his website.  He also does some AMAZING things to give back to people in need and has a wonderful ministry.

 You can look further into the musician with whom he collaborated, Derek Webb at http://www.derekwebb.com/.

Be blessed!  Be inspired!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Thank you for posting... really inspiring! great video :)

Gissele Valladares said...

This was amazing my friend...thank you for posting.