Sunday, November 7, 2010

God gives us the strength to speak publically...

Only God knows how difficult it was for me to ask our pastors for several minutes to introduce myself at the women's conference and speak about what God is doing in visual art (only because God was nudging me to do so)!  It was exponentially harder to wait in anticipation for the time to actually get up on stage and speak.  The only driving force that physically got me up there was God very clearly saying to me, "It's not about you".  For months, "It's not about you", eased my tension about my time with the microphone. It wasn't about me, it was about Him. You know, however, that the enemy is not content with leaving well enough alone, so I still dabbled with nerves and was overly zealous to be done with my speaking debut.

It was almost time for me to go up.  I asked three different close friends to pray for me to be calm because I felt so uneasy an hour before my time to speak. Well, not to my surprise, because God always backs me in these type of situations, as I stepped off the last step onto the stage, a strange calm came over me.  God took over, and the words that I had rehearsed eased out with clarity and conviction.  I spoke about the ministry, the many Christian artists that are "popping" up internationally with similar visions of using the visual arts as worship.  I introduced myself as an artist, my work, and the spoke about the piece I created the day before.  I spoke about all of these things, was concise, clear, and took exactly the fifteen minutes I was allotted.  ONLY GOD, I tell you!!!  He gave me the strength and spoke through me in a way that astounds me still!  I not only was thrilled with how easy and comfortable it all was, I actually am excited (in a great way) to do it again!!!!  Here are some photos of me speaking:


Stepped right up and got right into it.... God is great!!!


There were interpreters because the conference was bi-lingual.  Danisa Suarez (to my left) did an outstanding job!


Here I am reading the scripture that God gave me upon which I was to create the piece:   "Do not conform any longer to the patterns of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind.  Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is- His good, pleasing, and perfect will."   Romans 12:2
 I thank God so much for helping me through this challenge.  I have never enjoyed speaking publicly (until that day) and always did so reluctantly.  Now I am backed by a new confidence.  Not only did my God say, "It's not about you"... he demonstrated it to me!  I look forward to new opportunities to push comfort zones in my life, knowing that God will do it for me.... all I have to do is let Him and walk in faith, waiting for Him to step in.

Be blessed and Be inspired!!

No comments: