Thursday, October 14, 2010

My Vision

  Contemporary Secular Art and Christian Art stand divided due, in part, because modern secular art rejects the notion and aesthetic of Christian Art.  One reason has been that the Christian artist has, until quite recently, created works catered exclusively to the Christian community.  It is exciting, however, to see a shift in paradigm beginning to emerge.  There has been a shift from symbolic or iconic interpretation of Christianity to more abstract, conceptual, and spiritual means of expressing Biblical truths in Contemporary Christian art.  The art has become more internal rather than physical. 

  Although these two art worlds repel one another, as consequence of corresponding reliance upon  humanistic versus Christian worldviews, the universal language of art is an excellent means of bridging a gap between the two. Art can serve as a powerful tool towards genuine spiritual awakening in contemporary secular culture.

  I believe that God is paving a way to revolutionize the arts in order that they may be used for His glory in ways that truly express His love, power, and relevance to a starved culture.  There is a huge need for spiritual truth in Modern Art. I believe the first step is to portray the true power of the Word of God and supremacy of God in a way that demonstrates a dynamic that has not yet been exploited in Christian Art. Alongside my peers, I hope to be a mediator between important systems of culture:  art, faith, and Truth. 

  My first collection, Finding a Niche, deals with a new journey for me as a Christian and artist. By infusing notions of popular art with art that depicts God’s attributes and Truths, and visa-versa, I am attempting to find a niche between two seperate cultural standpoints, and either, simultaneously. I hope to do so in an inviting, real, and deliberate manner for both.  I find that it is only fitting, since art mirrors life, to incorporate the role that God plays in all of our lives, individually and in the masses.  God in “modern society” has not been given the acclaim that He merits.  Through the arts, God has a powerful stage.  I feel blessed and humbled to present God to the stage of Contemporary art through my work.

No comments: