Friday, October 8, 2010

For the Love of Creating...

All too often we get wrapped up in the outcome of our work being understood, conveying integrity, delivering a message, or trying to be aesthetically pleasing, even.  I don't know an artist who at one level or another doesn't battle some or most of these concerns when creating important works of art.  Much to our dismay, these concerns are the very things that stifle creativity the most!  Having these concerns in our minds are a sure way to create deadened art works.  How do we sweep away the thoughts that halt our enjoyment of art making- the thoughts that actually hinder the production of powerful art?

Well, I guess that's personal for each of us, but I had an epiphany relating to that very question today during a conversation with a 97 year old woman.  I have seen Josephina several times.  I have spoken with her briefly.  She is a polite woman, quiet, and seeming to simply wait.  As she waited again on this day, something I spoke with my grandmother about sparked a deep interest in her.  "What do you paint?" she asked.

We dialogued about my being an Artist and my paintings and about her own Art and that she was an Art professor.  She spoke about her process, some of the pieces she had created.  All the while, the passion for life returned to her slowly and steadily.  I saw her body language completely shift. The blood came back to her face and her eyes were lit and full of expression.  I heard laughter and saw watery eyes as I witnessed her going back into her thoughts... into her artmaking.

The emotion and reverence for the process she was describing was so pure.  She could have been talking about the most kitchy works of art this world has known, but her words described the creation of master pieces.  As I listened to her, I marveled at her word choices, the care and connotation each description held, and her love for the process. 

Josephina created a work of art today.  Her words delivered the enrichening attributes of simply creating. The conversation really made me think about the pure and simple joys of creating.  Creating anything, in and of itself, is wonderous and powerful!  My perception of her work, during our conversation, was only focused on her love of creating--- THAT SPOKE VOLUMES! If a work of art delivers THAT KIND of pure emotion, then the mission is complete and all of the other things fall into place.

She thanked me for talking with her and said, "I like to remember because to remember is to re-live".  It sank in just how important it is to not take for granted our opportunity to create in the present. 

Generally speaking, we should keep in mind that there will always be people who don't understand or don't find value in our work.  More importantly, however, if we don't portray the true and amazing experience of creating the work (without the unnecessary concerns, previously mentioned), then most people may not even give our work a chance because it won't draw them in. 

Be blessed!  Be inspired!

No comments: